Thursday, September 29, 2011

A Little Curious

Growing up it was no big secret that my father Archie Skelton (b.27aug1901 AL. d. 8jul1989 S.C.) did not want to have anything to do with his family. Honestly I do not remember ever asking him about his parents or siblings. Growing up I had no idea how many brothers or sisters Archie had. Was not 100% sure where he had been born. I do remember from time to time my mother (Gladys Skelton) would try to get some information about Archie's family from him. They always talked where they thought non of us kids could over hear them. Trust me we did not bother them unless it was necessary. Things were a lot different when I was a kid verses today. Even as strict as it was I still managed to over hear some things. Now the challenge is to remember all of it. Trying to remember stuff, tracking down people. I guess I have done pretty good to have gathered as much information that I have today.

I do remember one time when Billy Graham the T.V. evangelist was on and Archie made the comment that his Father (William Ellis Skelton b.5dec1878 AL. d. 9dec1980 TX.) knew Billy Graham. I remember me and my siblings had to sit on the sofa and keep quite. We were not allowed to say a word or get off the sofa. Not until after the program had ended. Archie did not make that statement in a kind way. He also said that both of them were liars and cheats. That did not seem to matter because he watched the whole show. I never did understand why he watched any of the Billy Graham specials. There was never a doubt that Archie did not like him at all. I guess it goes to show that we do not always act the same way we talk.

It is funny some of the things that stick in your mind, from child hood to adult hood. I have no idea why I remember that small time in my child hood. I can only guess it had something to do with why I wanted to learn about that side of the family. That I wanted to know for myself what kind of people they were. Were they liars and cheats? Were they cruel, mean people that I would never in a million years want to have anything to do with? The only way to know for sure was to try to learn as much as I could about them. To judge for myself what was true, what was false.

I guess I never really understood why Archie Skelton was the black sheep of his family. I do not remember right now all the different reasons that was given for Archie's refusal to have anything to do with his family. I do know that many reasons were given. That none of them made enough sense to me as to why. Maybe that is part of it too many reasons were given.

Have you ever been asked Why on earth are you digging up the past? I was told one time to let sleeping dogs lie. In case your not familiar with that old saying it means leave it alone. Now do not get me wrong I did leave it alone for years. I was busy with my own life s challenges. I had my own family to worry about. Plus there was no internet. LOL The internet has made it so much easier. Plus I have noticed an increasing interest in genealogy. Seems like more and more people want to know where they came from. What kind of family do I have? We must not forget What dark secrets will we find?

Well I am getting sleepy. So I will say good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment